The Voice for Local Real Estate

Predatory Lending Resources

Predatory lenders take advantage of borrowers. However, there are a few steps you can take to protect yourself. Here are some resources to help you avoid being a victim or to file a complaint if you have been a victim.

Legal Assistance
If you have been a victim, there are legal resources available. Legal Aid helps individuals with some civil cases. These agencies also help low income individuals who cannot afford to pay for legal services.

Memphis Area Legal Services – Memphis Fair Housing Center
The Memphis Fair Housing Center, through Memphis Area Legal Services, offers information and legal guidance to help consumers solve housing problems. When necessary, staff will assist with the filing of a complaint with the appropriate regulatory authority, including the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development or provide court representation.

109 North Main Street
2nd Floor, Claridge House
Memphis, TN 38103
901-523-8822 (phone)
901-543-5087 (fax)
Tipton County office in Covington: 901-476-1808

West Tennessee Legal Services
The West Tennessee Legal Services offers the Predatory Lending Project, which provides remedies through education and litigation to lessen an unfair credit practice that harms the borrower or supports a credit system that promotes inequality and poverty.

P.O. Box 2066
Jackson, TN 38302
731-423-0616 or 800-372-8346 (phone)
731-423-2600 (fax)
Dyer County office in Dyersburg: 731-285-8181
Carroll County office in Huntingdon: 731-986-8975
McNairy County office in Selmer: 731-645-7961

Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs
To file a complaint about a predatory lender, contact the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs. Individuals can file a complaint online, by phone or mail.

500 James Robertson Pkwy.
Nashville, TN 37243-0600
615-741-4737 or 800-342-8385 (phone)
615-532-4994 (fax)

Housing Discrimination Complaints
Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status or disability. If you have been trying to buy a home and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint. Contact HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity online or by phone or mail.

Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Room 5204
451 Seventh St. SW
Washington, DC 20410-2000
800-669-9777 (phone)

Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions
The Tennessee Department of Financial Institutions’ Web site allows consumers to see if their mortgage broker is licensed by the state and to file complaints against lenders.

Licensee list
File a complaint

Tennessee Real Estate Commission
The Tennessee Real Estate Commission Web site allows consumers to see if their real estate agent is licensed by the state to file a complaint against the agent.

Licensee list
File a complaint

Memphis Area Association of REALTORS®
Consumers can file a complaint about a MAAR member by calling (901) 818-2433.

Memphis Better Business Bureau
Consumers can file a complaint with the BBB at or 901-759-1300.

More information about Predatory Lending

What's Coming Up

Connect with Us!

facebook twitter instagram yelp
google+ youtube flickr linkedin
rss lightbulb-question-marks