Ethics and Professional Standards Hotline
Help is just a phone call away.
From time to time a disagreement may arise regarding the details of a real estate transaction. Consumers are encouraged to contact the agent's REALTOR® Principal to discuss and resolve such matters.
Additionally, MAAR maintains an Ethics & Professional Standards Hotline which can be reached at 901.818.2445. A group of Professional Standards Advisors (PSAs) take turns answering these confidential calls from MAAR members and consumers.
The PSA’s primary role is to listen and then help resolve the matter. Resolution may include some or all of the following:
- Answering questions about the REALTOR® Code of Ethics or the Tennessee Real Estate Commission’s (TREC) rules and regulations
- Encouraging communication between the client/consumer and broker
- Contacting the agent(s) or broker(s) to discuss the situation
- Suggesting that the caller seek legal counsel or contact TREC
- Sending out complaint forms
Should the PSA assigned to that day happen to be affiliated with the firm with whom you have a question or concern, then he/she will delegate that call to another PSA or to MAAR Staff.
A PSA’s goal to help resolve a situation, and oftentimes the matter is a simple misunderstanding. The PSA may contact you to better understand a situation or to suggest a resolution. The PSAs are REALTORS® who are seasoned veterans of the Grievance and Professional Standards Committees. Their expertise and knowledge is an invaluable service to our members and the public you serve.